Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Ticking is Tonight

Hello and hello to whoever is reading this. If you're in Brooklyn tonight, Nick Flynn will be reading at Zach Pace's stellar new event, Projection, starting at 7PM. Poets Jason Schneiderman, Joseph Fasano, and Diego Baez will also be reading.

Flynn's new book, The Ticking is the Bomb, is due out in January. It's another memoir. Only this time, in addition to writing about his childhood, Flynn has also undertaken the task of writing about torture.

Things got a little hairy last year when PEN gave Flynn an award for Another Bullshit Night and simultaneously gave a related award to author Sam Harris for his book, The End of Faith. The problem? Harris wrote the following:

"Given what many of us believe about the exigencies of our war on terrorism, the practice of torture, in certain circumstances, would seem to be not only permissable, but necessary."

1 comment:

Danniel Schoonebeek said...

Just kidding. It starts at 8pm. Now you can go back in time and show up at the correct hour, as I assure you I will. Although, showing up an hour early did allow me time to go sit across from poet Allyson Paty as she ate a tofu sandwich. The conversation was better than the beer I drank, which was some sort of apple cider.

As for the event itself, this was the best Projection I've been to so far. Hats off and congratulations to Zach!